Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter Salad

a.k.a. fun times with produce...

It’s crazy. It’s good. It’s crazy good! (Paleo for all you cavemen and women, seasonal for all you hippies, delicious for everyone else)

A disclaimer: the ingredients on their own can be a little pricy, but the yield is 4 good-size salads and could be bumped to 6-8 if you wanted smaller amounts. Additionally, the initial effort is labor intensive. I dealt with it by prepping everything and storing the leftovers in the fridge, making the next few times I threw it together super easy.

Ingredients
  • 1 fennel bulb, sliced (discard stalks but retain as many of the fronds as you want)
  • basil leaves to taste (I used ~15-20 medium sized leaves per salad, so 60-80 total)
  • 1 grapefruit, just the fleshy part pulled into chunks
  • pomegranate seeds
  • juice orange/citrus fruit (tangelo works great – I used ¼ per salad)

Toss fennel and basil on plate. Scatter grapefruit chunks and pomegranate seeds on top. Squeeze orange over it all. Enjoy.

The whole concoction is also terribly pretty and gets major points for presentation, but I ate it before thinking about a photo shoot.

2 comments:

  1. I love all of those ingredients, especially pomegranate, but is fennel the stuff that tastes like licorice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...I really don't care for black licorice, so didn't think I'd like it, but it works surprisingly well with everything else. Plus, the bulb part is pretty mild.

    ReplyDelete