Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A strange kind of competitive

I very rarely find myself feeling competitive. Mostly, I am just stubborn. I decided, I am going to run a marathon. Sure, I can not run a mile; but this book says I can work my way up to it in 6 months. The Disney Marathon is in 8 month. I will do that one and will get a kick ass metal for it to boot (it is a gold Mickey head). I got a very bad case of bronchitis that lasted 2 rounds of 10 days worth of Antibiotics, but damn it I paid $135. I ran it a month later. I was really slow but I finished. When I hit the 25 mile mark I wanted it to be over so I ran as hard as I could for the last 1.2 miles. The greatest thing about the Disney marathon is the 26 mile mark. When you hit that sign you have to round a blind corner and there is a gospel choir that sings "Hallelujah" when they see you come around the corner. I shit you not. I almost had to stop because I started laughing so hard, but you can see the finish line from there. That made me push on.

I digress... I find that when I do get competitive, it is aimed at boys. I think we all at Crossfit have someone we focus on. Someone that we look at and think, I am going to be faster than him/her. My person is Andrew. This is no surprise to Nagle. He started it. I think it is a good thing. It pushes you to try harder than you thought you could. One might think, I am going to die, but look if I just try a little harder or push a little longer I might just beat Nagle or hell look I am close to Jack, crap PUSH THROUGH!

Even with the competitive aspects to Crossfit there is still this overwhelming supportive nature too. It reminds me of one of my earliest memories of my friend Tamara. When I was 5 I was scared of the high dive at Riddle (the University that both of our parents worked at). Tamara climbed up to the top with me, held my hand, and jumped off the 5m spring board with me. Side note, Tamara was 4. She truly is badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment