Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Overtraining?

A few weeks ago Rich fell victim to this. I maybe incorrect in assuming this, but I think we (Crossfitters) are especially susceptible to this. I say this because most of you seem to have the same attitude that I do. I personally am hard headed and driven. If I take a day or two off I feel like a slacker. Then heaven forbid someone tells me I can not do something, I will work harder to prove that person wrong. (Telling me to scale back Dave, will just make me more detemined and a little annoyed) All though I think this is a good quality, and can lead to injury.

After my marathon, it took me all of 24 hours to decide I was going to do it again. I was and still am determined to get a better time. You are suppose to take a month off of running after, I didn't. The result of my hard headed nature... stress fractures.

So, what are the signs of overtraining? They are:
  • Insomnia
  • Achiness or pain in the muscles and/or joints
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Elevated morning pulse
  • Sudden inability to complete workouts
  • Feeling unmotivated and lacking energy
  • Increased susceptibility to colds, sore throats and other illnesses
  • Loss in appetite
  • Decrease in performance
Rich had 7 of these. The final symptom being the increse susceptability to illness. I do not think I got sick because I was overtraining. I think I got sick because I live with him. I do have to say though, after taking a week off for a cold; I am better at pull-ups. I would not recomend it though. Yesterdays WODs were anything but easy.

The solution is simple... rest. You can check to see if you are overtraining by monatoring your heartrate. Take your pulse upon wakening before getting out of bed for several days to establish a baseline. Have a easy or short workout if your morning heart rate is greater than 5% of your baseline. Take the day off of training if your morning heart rate is greater than 10% above baseline.

No comments:

Post a Comment