Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

Today is the start of Lent. For those of you that do not know what Lent is: it is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. People of Episcopal / Anglican and Catholic faith tend to give up something for this period of time. This Lent I am giving up Chocolate.

This is going to be particularly difficult because I have given up so much already for Paleo. I have come to rely on dark chocolate at night as a little pick me up. I know that I am just shifting my food addiction to a specific food, but that is what I have been doing. I actually have been having exactly 3 pieces of dark chocolate a night for quite some time now.

I, like most people in America, use food as a comfort. I use chocolate, specifically, as a comfort. Do not get me wrong; I have no desire whatsoever to give up chocolate. I view it as one of life's great pleasures. I fully plan on gobbling up a large quantity of chocolate on Easter.

The extreme difficulty with this sacrifice is that I am going through a very stressful time in my life right now. Several things are changing and I have no clue what my life is going to look like in 3 months. I decided yesterday, that I need to focus on the things I can control.

With that in mind, I can control what I do with my body. I am going to continue to give myself little goals that I may or may not achieve so that I can focus on that instead of the stress. Yesterday's goal: a one handed hand stand. I came upon this goal in kind of a silly way. I was looking through some photos a friend just posted on Facebook of their vacation and stumbled on one of him doing a one handed handstand. I thought: I want to do that. I will do that today.


No comments:

Post a Comment