Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lucky

Almost all CrossFitters these days have a blog. I read a great number of them. I especially pay attention to the blogs of my fellow Crossfitters from Durham. Today I was reading Erin's blog and it occurred to me how lucky I was in high school.

I too was on Track & Field and Cross Country. I, unlike Erin, was more into the sprinting distances. But I do not think there was ever any kind of animosity between the sprinters and the long distance runners. I gather this is, from reading Erin's blog, because we never had to fight for track position. Coach Johnson, my awesome track coach and former player for the NFL (and then signed my senior year to play for the AFL), use to take us across the street to run. The beach was across the street. You think I am kidding, but I am not.



This never led to fighting... It led to complaining. He use to make us run in the soft sand or in the water on hot days. Some times he would make us do both. For those of you that have never tried to run in either, it is hard. It actually is a great work out and I might make myself do it next time I go back to Florida.

Talk about functional fitness. He was a man ahead of his time. And to think, now I pay to be told to do that sort of thing


Additional note: I was just told by an old high school friend that he now has a student athlete program and runs the Granada bridge with the students. This is the Granada Bridge:




No comments:

Post a Comment