Monday, January 24, 2011

I had my cholesterol and triglycerides checked on Friday. My Cholesterol was higher than I would like it to be. It is not high but not ideal either. I have a history of heart issues in my family and I have a mild heart murmur (my tricuspid valve is occasionally flappy). This probably makes me over concerned about my cholesterol, but better safe than sorry. On the opposite side of the coin I have some family members that live forever. My gram (great grandmother on my mom's side) lived to 102. She had a heart attack at 98 and then proceeded to tell my mom that she did not understand because she never had heart problems before. I was hoping that paleo would lower it. It did the opposite. It was raised 18 points. My triglycerides however, are on the floor. My triglycerides use to be 169. This is the The National Cholesterol Education Program's guidelines for triglycerides:

Normal: Less than 150 mg/dL
Borderline to High: 150 to 199 mg/dL
High: 200 to 499 mg/dL
Very high: 500 mg/dL or higher

Drum roll please. They are now at 59. That is a drop of 110 points.

No, I do not take fish oil. I know I should. I actually bought some through Amazon this morning with my Living Social Coupon. I also bought some red rice yeast. I will start taking both of these and start a new diet when I get back from Florida. I am going to try the Mediterranean Rx. I read an article a while back where this guy tried all sorts of different diets, 30 days at a time. I know that my experiment is not going to be that scientific. I am changing way too many factors at once. But it is my health we are talking about, so I am going to throw everything at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment